Change Is Good

Time may change me
But I can’t trace time
- David Bowie, Changes

I’ve never been very comfortable with change. Change is scary and I tend to like things just the way they are, but change is also exciting and usually means something wild or wonderful is about to happen.

Change comes in many forms; there are big life changes: losing a loved one, getting married, having a baby, adding a pet to your family, moving to a new city or quitting your job to start your own business.

Physical changes: losing or gaining weight, discovering another laugh line on your face or dyeing your blond hair red.

There are soulful changes, too like altering the way you think about things, changing your mind, attitude or perspective. These are typically tougher changes but usually the best kind.

Whatever the change, no matter how uncomfortable it makes me, in my experience change is almost always a good thing and hard as I may try, often unavoidable.

Here’s a list of some changes I am always okay with:

1. sheets
  2. channels
  3. toner cartridges
  4. water in the fish tank
  5. oil in the car
  6. light bulbs
  7. batteries
  8. lanes
  9. directions
  10. diapers

This post was inspired by Stasha’s Monday Listicles, a linky right up my alley! This week’s topic: Changes was chosen by MannahattaMamma.

Related Posts:

Comments

1. says

I don’t mind change, but my husband hates it :) Though I think he would agree with your list (well, he is ok with ME changing diapers, the slacker). I’ll have to bring these things up to him when he’s talking about how change stresses him out.

2. says

Oh I love this. You started of so serious and had me nod after every sentence. Then I read your list. I am stil nodding in approval on all ten. But I am also laughing. And I needed it tonight of all night.
    Perfect list Tonya.

• says

Stasha said exactly what was in my mind! I was leaning forward, hanging on to every serious word you said and then fell back in my chair laughing when I read you list! I think you just changed me, my emotional state in one flip of the coin :)

I think for me the spiritual/soulful change is the hardest one, longest one to finally happen, but also the most rewarding, powerful one as well!

3. says

He hee, you started off so seriously and then your list ended up making me laugh.

Change is hard no matter what but, most of the time, it’s needed and the outcome is positive:)

4. says

I think the best part of your post is the mention that chnage is good–even when the change itself really sucks, like losing a job, the exciting part comes soon after when you realize “Oh my God, if I play my cards right, I can do anything I want!”

5. says

Change can kiss my ass, really and truly.I hate it. We just had an announcement at work that might lead to some pretty substantial (but probably good) changes and I about threw up my breakfast..and definitely cried in my cubicle..and then the words “please put some skittles in your mouth right now so you won’t be sad anymore” might have been said to me.

I’m Ok with most of these changes — except oil, because that usually means $$ being spent ;)

6. says

The older I am getting, the more I like a change, just for the sake of having one. Loved your list!!! Hoping all your changes are GOOD ones.

7. Leah says

As I’m sure you know, I’m a big fan of change. Its such a great way to get through a rough/sad/difficult time in your life. Cutting my hair was the best change ever for me!