The last time I owned a pet (other than a fish), I was 13. 32 years ago today (!) my family got a puppy.
Part Labrador, part Poodle and way before they were called Labradoodles, Licorice was black with a little patch of white fur on her chest. She was sweetest and smartest dog I’ve ever been around.
Running along the ocean was one of Licorice’s favorite activities and we had to spell the word beach or she would go bonkers.
Despite sleeping at the foot of my bed, to be fair Licorice was my mother’s dog. We had her for six years and when we moved, we gave her to some friends that lived down the street.
It’s time for another dog.
My husband STRONGLY disagrees.
ARGUMENTS FOR GETTING A DOG:
- We’ve been wanting to add to our family. A pet would be a perfect addition teaching Lucas responsibility and giving him a wonderful life long playmate.
- We have a large backyard with plenty of room for a pooch to roam.
- I don’t think a more unconditional love exists than the one between a dog and it’s owner. Even when you’re feeling (and acting) miserable, they still love you.
- Lucas really like dogs, although to be honest (much to my chagrin), he seems like more of a cat person. WE WILL NOT BE OWNING A CAT!! EVER.
- I love to walk and vow to be in charge of this daily (and nightly) activity.
- Extra security… for when my husband travels.
- Opportunity to give a dog a second chance by adopting or saving a pound puppy.
- Who could resist these precious faces?
ARGUMENTS AGAINST GETTING A DOG:
- Discovering my favorite shoes chewed to smithereens.
- We can’t even potty train our son, how would we ever potty train an animal?
- No more spontaneous (or the other variety) trips – kenneling is expensive.
- Vet care, food, toys, bedding, treats, etc. are also expensive.
- Training. Ugh!
- Shedding. Sigh.
- Saying good-bye is inevitable.
Okay, he may have won this argument… for now.
What do you think? Do you own a dog? What love and hate about pet ownership?