We are so lucky, Lola is an excellent sleeper. She goes for 4-5 hour stretches each night, which means she’s only up twice, around midnight and 4 o’clock. My husband and I take turns and typically I have an easier time getting her to go back to sleep but after she has been fed and burped and changed and kissed and rocked, I am wide awake!
Try as I might to will myself back to sleep, never turning on a light or the television, lying still and breathing deeply, most nights I fail miserably.
And I know I shouldn’t grab for my phone, but it’s right there on the nightstand beguiling me. So here’s what I do at 4 in morning:
- Respond to text messages… I know, a little but but better late than never.
- Unsubscribe to unwanted promotional e-mails.
- Meal plan.
- Write partial blog posts.
- Research soon-to-be expired Groupons I’ve purchased.
- Look up answers to curious four-year-old questions, like knock-knock jokes, if fish sleep (they do, BTW) and birthday party themes.
- Play Words With Friends (thank you to those who are up at the same time!).
- Read, thanks to my Kindle app (!).
- Order stuff…. diapers mostly but lately several packages have arrived at our house that I don’t exactly recall ordering. With the Amazon.com and Diapers.com apps, it is just far too easy, not to mention expensive!
Time to keep my phone downstairs.
In the trunk of my car.