I have sipped wine at Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris, climbed a pyramid in Egypt, laid like broccoli pool side in Hawaii, marveled at the Grand Canyon, sounded like a fool using my broken Spanish in Cabo San Lucas and got caught in the freezing rain with my three year old in Vancouver.
Growing up overseas gave me the travel bug and I have always loved it! I believe wanderlust is a wonderful thing. But vacations can be different and I’ve taken many kinds of trips… there are girl’s trips, couples retreats, action-packed tourist attractions rich with history, two-fer destinations, where you get to see family and friends but also the opportunity to explore a new place, road trips, camping excursions and good old fashioned long weekends.
Who doesn’t love vacation? If we are lucky we get away a couple of times a year and it’s never enough. Vacation recharges us, makes the everyday bearable, gives us something to look forward to, get in shape for and save up for. Vacation is glorious!
13 Things I Love About Vacation (in no particular order):
1. No schedule.
2. No laundry.
3. No meal planning, grocery shopping or cooking!
5. Room service (on occasion).
6. The experience to see, do and try new things (food, culture, environment or activity).
7. Being on vacation means my family is all together and we’re bonding.
8. Getting to meet new people and possibly making lifelong friends.
9. Procuring souvenirs or small trinkets that will forever remind us of our time away.
10. Making lasting memories.
11. The opportunity to take great photographs.
12. Being out of touch for a while. I don’t know about you, but I rarely watch the news or pay attention to headlines when I’m away from home and I try to unplug too.
13. Finding inspiration to create, write, laugh, let go and just be.
I love this passage from Wanderlust For One:
Travel is not just recreation. It is re-creation. Through travel, I come face to face with the unknown and the unfamiliar disrupts the familiar. Travel throws me off balance while helping me to find it again. It reawakens my childlike wonder and reaffirms my sense of self. Travel makes me approach my life with a fresh perspective. It deconstructs my cozy, comfortable existence and teaches me…
What do you love about vacation?
This post was written for Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop Prompt 2.) List 13 things you love about vacation.