In addition to feeling so sleep deprived I can’t even see straight and riddled with worried that I’m doing something terribly wrong, puppies and preschoolers are similar in a lot more ways than I thought:
- Both require A LOT of gear. I thought we were prepared before we brought Charlie Pasta home on Tuesday, but I have made two trips to PetCo and one to Target to get MORE stuff.
- Both love being chased around the backyard and it is a joy to watch.
- Both love snacks / treats throughout the day.
- Potty training both (or either) at the sane time (anytime) is a huge pain-in-the-ass/nearly impossible/difficult.
- I have checked both while they were sleeping to make sure they were still breathing.
- Both get a lot of photographs taken of them, which is good for them because they also both LOVE to be the center of attention.
- Both cry for what they want. And usually get it. CASE AND POINT: me sleeping next to the crate so he won’t be lonely. Oh, my aching back and bleeding heart!
- Both want to be right underfoot at all times. I admit that I have stepped on both more than once and I have accepted the fact that I will never pee alone again.
- Both mistake bedtime for playtime. CASE AND POINT: of the FIVE times I let Charlie out last night, he only peed ONCE. Sigh…
- Both smell like magic, can bring a smile to your face no matter what mood you’re in and are always happy to see you.
- Both are absolute angels when they are asleep.
While it is not without it’s challenges, parenthood and puppyhood are two of the best roles I’ve ever had and I am over the moon with delight with the latest, but I am so looking forward to Charlie sleeping through the night.